About Me

My photo
My daughter has just started school and suddenly the house, like me, feels very empty - deserted even. What does one do with so much time??? The possibilities are so overwhelming, it's hard to choose any one thing. And yes, the house is a mess, the kids probably have no clean uniforms for tomorrow and the cereal is still out on the bench from breakfast, but what the hell....

Thursday, February 18, 2010

A bizarre day, when I find myself defending Pamela Anderson and agreeing with Victoria Beckham.

There are few celebrities I admire less than Pamela Anderson and Victoria Beckam, yet I feel compelled to write about both of them today.

Firstly, the storm of media criticism surrounding Pamela's NY Fashion Week outfit.  If you haven't seen it, check this out - but warning, it may offend some viewers.  http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/1014407/anderson-stripper-outfit-horrifies-critics

I want to know, what is the age cut-off for wearing such an outfit?   Do you think it's 25, 35, perhaps if she was only 40, not 42?

I challenge even a 20-year-old supermodel to look good in such a trashy outfit.  Let's blame the designer Richie Rich here, not the wearer!

Poor Pamela has  built her career on showing off those melon breasts to an adoring, largely male, public.    I get depressed looking at all the Sass and Bide outfits that I would love to wear, if I was ten years younger (I'm 38).   How much worse for someone who has made a career out of flaunting her body to be now mocked in the media, to be told she should be showing less flesh and more dignity.  I say, go Pamela, wear what you want.  Why should we all have to grow old gracefully?  We should all grow old in whatever manner will make us happy (within the confines of the law of course!).

As for Victoria Beckham.  She's gone on The View and defended Size 0 models.  THANK YOU!  She says no one should be criticized for their size, small or large.  This has long been a beef of mine.  For some reason, if you are slim, people think its acceptable to comment on your weight, or worse, on what they believe to be your eating habits.  Perhaps they think its a compliment, but I can tell you for the naturally skinny girl, it can be just as uncomfortable having people speculating on your eating habits as for a larger person.  I never thought I would find myslef applauding Victoria Beckham, but I am!  Go Victoria, champion of the Size 0 girl.

If we all spent more time looking inwards, instead of measuring ourselves against others, how much happier would be be?

No comments:

Post a Comment